Move Your Body 30 Minutes Each Day
One of the best ways to prevent or delay the development of chronic disease is to move your body. And it doesn’t take much!
Brisk walking and biking are examples of moderate exercise. You can also count everyday tasks such as vacuuming, mopping, raking, and shoveling.
NOTE: Kids should move their bodies at least 60 minutes each day!
23 and 1/2 hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health?
Watch this amazing video to find out why moving your body for 30 minutes each day is the single most important thing you can do for your health and wellbeing.
How to Make the Change
Here is the change we suggest this month:
If you and your family are not accustomed to daily physical activity, consider building up to 30 minutes each day:
- Week 1: Go for a brisk 15 minute walk after dinner three days per week
- Week 2: Go for a brisk 20 minute walk after dinner five days per week
- Week 3: Add 10 minutes of activity to those five days (can be at the same time or separate)
- Week 4: Commit to moving your body 30 minutes each day
NOTE: Breaking up your physical activity in two or more bouts of at least 10 minutes gets you the same benefits.
Make sure you have fun moving your body! Otherwise, it will be hard to stick with this habit. Talk to your family about activities they enjoy and incorporate as many of them as you can.
Take it to the Next Level
If you are already meeting the minimum guidelines for physical activity, consider stepping it up to 60 minutes per day for maximun benefit!
Here are some suggestions for ways to get moving as a family:
- Join the Healthiest State Walk on October 3.
- Sign up for a fun 5K run – training for this event will give you the motivation to do more! (Consider the Decorah Anytime Fitness Halloween Hustle on October 27.)
- Enjoy the last of the mild weather by biking the Trout Run Trail. It is 11 miles and will get you out moving for over an hour.
- Plan a scavenger hunt to keep the kids running!
- Sign up for a Zumba® class at Team Rehab.
- Walk or bike to one of the beautiful trails in Decorah and go for a nature walk.
- Sign up for a Cardio Dance class at Discover Happy.
- Give your car a vacation and use your legs for transportation whenever possible.
- Start or join a walking school bus.
- Buy that puppy the kids have been asking for. Pets are great motivators!
Sponsor of the Month
This month Discover Happy is providing a month of family classes to one lucky family. Discover Happy is owned and operated by Amanda Rhine who hopes to reach the community with services to encourage personal happiness.